Overview of PGFD3
Areas protected by the Pleasant Garden Fire Department are situated geographically North/South between the Greensboro City limits and the Randolph County line and East/West by Randleman Road and US 421.
Population of :
Rural District – 7100
Town District – 4906
Total – 12,006
District Square Miles – 28.72
Total Road Miles – 176
In 1952 Pleasant Garden Fire Department was organized by a group of citizens concerned that the Pleasant Garden area had no fire protection.
The first and only truck was a 1934 Dodge fire truck that was purchased from the Town of Madison. The truck was housed at C. Ross Motors, which is now The Automotive Center of Pleasant Garden located at 4712 Pleasant Garden Road.
Funds for the department came from memberships purchased by citizens in the fire district who wanted fire protection.
In 1957 Pleasant Garden Fire Department
responded to sixteen calls. By 1962, the call volume had more than doubled to thirty-eight calls. Today the call volume is 1100+. Most of them are medical calls. The 1957 budget of the department submitted to Guilford County totaled $4,787.00. Today it is $1.3 million.
In 1962 our first building was built at the current location. In April of 1969, the addition of a third bay was approved. In 1972 a training room was added. By 1986, more space was needed, and the building was renovated with the current look.
In November 1967 the first part-time paid person was hired. The first full-time fireman in June of 1974. A second full time fireman was added in 1978. Today we have 10 full time firemen, and at least 1 part time person each shift. We also have the Chief and Administrative Assistant.
In 1977, firefighters no longer had to piecemeal turnout gear together, 30 sets were ordered. That same year the first dry hydrant was installed at Bonnie Kay’s Seafood on Spur Road. More tools were added as well as more trucks. Our ISO rating dropped from a 9 to a 7. Today it is a 4.